We have all heard the metaphors for our tasks as a teacher or principal: "lighting a fire", "building a bridge", "discovering the new worlds". But, the real kicker, "where the rubber meets the road", is what actions do we do, what decisions do we make, to improve the future.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

My Action Research Topic

This week's assignment required us to work with our site supervisor to develop 3 different action research topics and then decide on one. Although I am still waiting to hear from my site supervisor to hear the final pick, my pick is choice number 3:

1. Would developing a plan for increasing students' MATH literacy skills by using additional vocabulary lessons and student journals improve student results on district and campus benchmarks?

2. What is the effect of students' involvement in academic extracurricular activities (such as Science Club) on their classroom performance and behavior?

3. What is the effect of using one-to-one laptops/netbooks to support and extend classroom lessons, improve student engagement and encourage positive classroom behavior?

I will need to research the topic we (my site supervisor and I) decide on, find other studies and analyze that data, and then possibly implement the program in my classroom (like using the Computers On Wheels (COW's) on a regular basis - which I would love to do regardless).

Since the first two options are already a part of the intern plan I developed at the beginning of my graduate program, I am really interested in using the COW's more to see how it helps my kids - especially since they are bilingual and would benefit from additional support.

I will keep you all updated on the final action research topic! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment