We have all heard the metaphors for our tasks as a teacher or principal: "lighting a fire", "building a bridge", "discovering the new worlds". But, the real kicker, "where the rubber meets the road", is what actions do we do, what decisions do we make, to improve the future.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

My Action Research Plan

Although this does not need to be posted until next week, I am going ahead and posting it since we are heading to a family reunion in 2 days. Enjoy!

Since blogger.com does not allow copy and paste actions, and does not support tables, I am going to insert my plan as a series of pictures.


ACTION RESEARCH INQUIRY:
What is the effect of using one-to-one netbooks to support and extend classroom lessons, improve student engagement, and encourage positive classroom behavior?

GOALS:

- To see at least 10% higher assessment scores (in either class average or in percent of students passing) in classes receiving instrution using a one-to-one ratio of netbooks to support and extend classroom lessons in ELA.

- To see at least 10% higher student engagement in classes utilizing the netbooks over classes not using the netbooks as evidenced by teacher scoring and student surveys.

- To see a decrease of at least 10% in instances of student behavior requiring discipline (including official warnings, "processings", principal referrals, or office visits).

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer,
    I think you have a great action research plan spelled out. I had one question:"What type of behavior will you be looking at specifically?" I noticed how you will evaluate behavior, but just wondered what type of behaviors you would be concerned with.
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, I think it looks great. The only suggestion I have would be to give the students a learning inventory/questionaire on there learning styles when they begin the class. See how they study and what techniques work best for them. It would be interesting to see after using the lapbooks if they felt they were more effective using technology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that this is a great topic. I love technology based topics when it comes to instructional strategies. One other suggestion, what about including your campus technology instructional specialist in the "persons responsible" category at some point. They may be needed for consult on acquiring devices, setting up softward, troubleshooting,etc.? Good luck with your research.

    ReplyDelete